Getting Married Abroad

When a citizen of The United Republic of Tanzania desires to contract a marriage with a citizen of another country, a certificate of no impediment is needed if the law of that country requires him/her to produce one. This certificate is proof that no legal impediment to the intended marriage is known to the responsible authority in Tanzania (Registrar – General of Marriages).

The Embassy does not issue such certificates but is mandated to endorse and forward forms for application of certificates for no impediment (FORM NO RGM.12) directly to;
The Registration Insolvency and Trusteeship Agency (RITA).

Kipalapala Street,
P.O. Box 9183,
Telephone: 2153069 (General line),
Fax: 2153075,
Please visit RITA WEBSITE  for more information and for downloading the (RGM.12) application form or Registrar of Marriages Zanzibar,

Office of the Registrar General
Abdallah Waziri(Registrar General)
Mambo Msiige Building, Kelele Street, Shangani
P.O.Box 772

Tel: +255242236324
Fax: +255242236325

When the certificate is issued, the applicant is supposed to bring it to the Embassy for endorsement. Fee for endorsement is SEK 200 per document.

If you live abroad and wish to get married in Tanzania please read the procedures here and follow what is applicable to Tanzanians and foreigners. You may contact a tour agent or relatives of your spouse in Tanzania to advice and arrange for the marriage. Tour agents arrange the ceremony at a fee.

Documents Required
If you are intending to get married in Tanzania, a certificate of no impediment from your home country of residence is required. This document (translated in English) must state status – that;

  • you were never married before
  • you are divorced and attach the relevant divorce certificate or
  • you were widowed and produce/attach the relevant document.
  • This certificate proves that no legal impediment to the intended marriage is known to the responsible authority in your country. The document must be signed by your Ministry of Foreign Affairs and endorsement by the Tanzania Embassy in Sweden. Fee for endorsement is SEK 200 per document.
  • Other useful documents to have which might be needed in Tanzania are; Birth certificate, or personal information from Registrar of the population in your country. If you intend to be married in a church a letter from your Pastor/Priest will be helpful.


If you have less than 21 days required to put “a notice of intention to marry”, you need to make an application for “Special Marriages Licence” from the Registrar of Marriages An application form for “Special Marriages Licence” will be issued and duly filled and a copy of the certificate of no impediment attached to it. The form must be signed and legalized by a lawyer or an advocate. The form must then go back the Registrar of Marriages where it will be checked, a fee will be paid and the “Special Marriage License” will be issued.

With this license the couple must report to the District Commissioner’s office, Church or Mosque (depending on the place where the marriage will take place and the person who will solemnize the marriage) to set the date of the marriage. Two witnesses selected by the couple (resident or non-resident) will have to accompany the couple on the marriage date. After the ceremony, a Tanzanian Marriage Certificate (in duplicate) will be issued.


If an International Certificate of Marriage is required on your return to your country, the Tanzanian marriage certificate must then be brought back to the Registrar of Marriages in Tanzania for registration by filling in form No. RGM 111 (Application for registration for a foreign marriage). A fee is paid to obtain a copy of the entry in the Register of Foreign Marriages. An additional is required for the International Marriage Certificate to be issued before leaving Tanzania. This International Marriage Certificate must be certified by the Tanzanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs – Legal Department before being presented to your Embassy for legalization.

The legalized document can then be recorded with your Municipality/Commune/Civil Record Office. Please contact your Embassy in Tanzania for any further information on this.

Marriage in Zanzibar

Information on marriage in Zanzibar can be obtained from:

Town Council
Vuga, Zanzibar Town
Tel: +255 024 230246/7

Town Council
Vuga, Zanzibar Town
Tel: +255 024 230182

Requirements are:

  1. Birth Certificate in English
  2. Passport
  3. Two witnesses (can be locally provided if necessary) and The marriage vows

Marriage Certificates of Zanzibar must be certified by the Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Tanzania in Dar es Salaam and other procedures are given above.