This page is Under construction!!

Permits to work, conduct research, do business, or import is issued in Tanzania by the Commissioner of Immigration, Labour Commissioner or other relevant government departments.

Please note that the Embassy only provides information for permits (work and resident) or forwards application that needs Embassy endorsement (e.g Press/media permit).

*It is important to note that the classification of residence permits is different from that of work permits.

Any foreigner intending to reside in the United Republic of Tanzania for investment, business, employment or any other legal activity may be issued with Residence Permit or Pass.

All applicants of Residence Permits should first obtain Work Permit from the Commissioner of Labor, except those coming for other purposes such as studies, Research, attending court case and retired persons.

Please visit the Website of the Immigration Headquarters in Tanzania for key information, types of residence permits and online application

Foreigners/non Residents shall not engage in any occupation for reward, profits unless they have a valid work permit that allows that person to work or engage in the occupation specified in the valid work permit. Please refer to Section 10 (2) of the Non-Citizens (Tanzania Employment Regulation), Act No 1/2015). There are three types of Work permits.

  • Class A; for investors and self employed
  • Class B; Non citizen in possession of prescribed professions ( Medical and Health Care professionals, experts in oil & Gas, Teachers and University Lecturers in Science and Mathematics
  • Class C : Non Citizen in possession of other professions

Online work permit application is through the Commissioner of Labour, Prime Minister’s Office, Labour, Youth, Employment and Persons with Disability. For more information on application procedure please send an inquiry to the Commissioner of Labour at

In order to conduct academic research in Tanzania, a research permit is required.

The applicant (s) should fill in an application for research clearance, attaching a CV (Curriculum Vitae Form), a synopsis or script when forwarding both the applications. The application must be made two months before the commencing date of the research assignment.

Requirements for this permit are:

  • A copy of pages of the passport with the detailed information of the passport holder
  • Five passport size pictures of the applicant.
  • Introduction letter from the institution or university inviting the applicant for research
  • C.V and certificate of university or institution attended by the applicant
  • Entry permit (visa or resident permit) depending on researchers time in Tanzania
  • A completed Research Clearance form
  • Application fee of USD 50 to be paid at COSTECH
  • If your application is successful you will be required to pay research fee USD 300 per person at COSTECH.

While researchers and academic book writers should send the application and fee directly to

Director General,
Tanzania Commission for Science and Technology (COSTECH)
P.O. Box 4302, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Tel: 255-22-700745/6/9, 75311/2
Fax: 255-22-775313/4,

The above research permit applications is separate from entry permits which should be made to the nearest Consulate/Embassy (ordinary student visa) the immigration department (student pass, work and resident permit) in Tanzania before entry to Tanzania.


If you plan to take professional videos/film in Tanzania you are required to apply for a filming permit. Please fill out the

Filming Permit Form (Tanzania Mainland)

Filming Permit Form (Zanzibar)

Please send your application to the Embassy of endorsement using:  The Embassy will endorse the form and send back to you for submission to the Filming Board in Tanzania the following attachments;

  1. Detailed synopsis of the film (separate attachment)
  2. Crew list (Photocopy of passport picture and information page)
  3. Equipment list
  4. Contact the Board to arrange fee payment using the host organization in Tanzania or directly to their account.

Tanzania Mainland:

National Film Censorship Board
Department of Culture Development
Ministry of Information, Youth, Culture and Sports
P.O. Box 8031
Tel: +255222121920/0222123931/0222117819
Fax +25522 2121920/0222123931/022117819;


Information Department

P.O. Box 2754


Tel: 2231073/2231011


Your Content Goes Here

Your Content Goes Here