News Flash

On his last day in Tanzania, President Clinton became one of 360, 000 visitors annually to explore the World Famous Ngorongoro Crater. Often called "Africa’s Eden" and the "8th Natural Wonder of the World," this collapsed volcano (a “caldera”) is located in the Ngorongoro Conservation Area . This is a natural sanctuary for thousands of birds, insects and animals such as lions, zebra, black rhino and wildebeest, all free to wander.
Consular Services - Permit Print E-mail

Permits to enter, conduct research, business, marry or import are issued by the immigration office in Tanzania or relevant government department.

Please note that the Embassy only provides information and forwards applications for permits that need to be endorsed.

 Resident and Work Permits
 For more information on permits please visit
Other Permits















1. Types of Residence Permits

All foreigners intending to reside in the United Republic of Tanzania for investment, business or work or any other acceptable purpose are issued with residence permits.

There are three types of Residence Permits:

  • Class A: Issued to employed foreigners
  • Class B: Issued to foreigners employed by companies or institutions
  • Class C: Issued to other foreigners such as missionaries, students, volunteers, researchers or retired persons.

The authority to issue Residence Permits is vested to the Director of Immigration Services. Applicants who are not satisfied with the Director’s decision may appeal to the Minister of Home Affairs while they are outside the Country. Applications for Residence Permit Class B and C should be submitted while applicants are outside the country.

2. Requirements for obtaining Residence Permit Class A

Residence Permit Class A may be issued to foreigners intending to invest in prospective areas such as: Industry, Mining, Forest, Social services and business.

Documents required for the first grant application :

2.1.1 Tanzania Mainland procedures

  • TIF 1 forms in duplicate duly filled
  • A covering letter from the applicant
  • Six photographs
  • Curriculum vitae
  • Education certificates (if appropriate)
  • Business license
  • Certificate of registration for Tax payers Identification Number (TIN)
  • Certificate of registration for Value Added Tax (VAT)
  • Copy of registration
  • Memorandum and articles of association for company by liability
  • Extract from the registrar-for business names
  • Evidence of business premises
  • Sectoral approval from any relevant Ministry (if needed)
  • Share certificate (if needed) or share transfer and board resolution (for investors who have bought some shares or company.
  • Power of attorney for a person given power as a Director
  • Copy of passport pages authentificating nationality and validity of passport.
  • Business licence tax clearance certificate
  • Evidence of the capital that has been invested in the company in terms of cash and assets. i.e.
  • Bank statement/financial statement

 2.1.2 Documents required during application for renewal

  • As listed in No.1 to 8 above
  • C-9 or forms of annual returns of company having a share capital
  • Certificate of incorporation/registration
  • A copy of issued permit
  • Original permit

NB: Those who do not qualify under the T.I.C. should provide a Bank proof of or assets valued to 300,000 USD to be considered for the Class A permit by the Director of Immigration Services.

2.2 Applicants who would like the names of their dependant wife and children to be endorsed in their permits must produce a proof of relationship preferably marriage certificate and birth certificates for their children.

2.3 There is a fee of US $ 1600 for a Class A permit, which is generally valid for two years. Permits can be replacement for an additional two years for US $ 1600.

2.4 US $ 20 has to be paid for all types of permits as a fee for Re-entry Pass in respect of each permit holder and his/her dependant(s) endorsed in each permit.

Requirements for obtaining Residence Permit Class ‘B’

Residence permit Class B is issued to foreign expatriates with rare profession to obtain in the country to work for the companies in the country.

Documents required for the first grant application

  • TIF 1 forms duly filled
  • Covering letter
  • Certificate of incorporation
  • Business license
  • Tax Clearance Certificate
  • Tax Payer Identification Number Certificate (TIN)
  • Photostat copy of the applicant’s passport
  • Employment contract, signed by the employer and the employee. It should also include a clause on
  • repatriation of an employee to his/her place of domicile or engagement in case of termination of contract for lawful cause.
  • Curriculum vitae (CV) of the applicant
  • Five passport size photographs
  • Organization’s chart
  • Memorandum and articles of Association
  • Translations (by authorised institutions) of documents/certificate in case they are written in languages other than English or Kiswahili.
  • Registration certificate from professional institution/Boards for posts of Accountants, Engineers,
  • Surveyors, Doctors, Nurses, pilots, teachers, and other posts of the like.
  •  In case the applicant is currently employed in Tanzania and gets employed to another company, a letter of no objection, original permit from previous employer and current immigration status of the applicant is needed.

Fees for Residence Permit Class ‘B’-1st application:

Residence Permit – US $ 600
 Re-entry pass - US $ 20
Replecement US $ 600
 Dependants (especially wife and children under 18 years) should pay Re-entry pass US $ 20 each, if they have to be included in the permit.
If dependants are children under 18 years and intend to attend schools or colleges in Tanzania, they should apply for Class ‘C’ Permit special for students.

N.B: It is not allowed for the expatriate to be in the country when Residence Permit Class B is being applied for hi/her, until the same is granted. However, if an expatriate changes employer and he/she is still in the country, a special pass will be issued pursuant to section 12 of the Immigration Regulations 1997. The Special Pass costs.

Documents required during application for renewal

As listed in 1 to 12 above
A copy of a granted Residence Permit.
Zanzibar procedures

Applicants in Zanzibar are required to produce some additional attachments as follows:

A covering letter from Zanzibar Investment Promotion Agency (ZIPA) or export Processing Zones (EPZ) Authority.
Four passport size photographs
Police Clearance.
For more information Contact:

The Director of Immigration Services

 P. O. Box 512 Dar es Salaam

Tel. 2552118640

Fax 255222112174/2112181

Foreign Investors are required to apply for a Class A Permit while expatriate staff applies for a class B Permit.

Class C Permits are for other categories of residents such as students, researchers, volunteers and missionaries.

Applications for Class A and Class C permits should be forwarded directly to the Director of Immigration Services while applications for Class B permits should be forwarded to the Director of Immigration Services through the Labour Commissioner. The Labour Department is only involved in the issuance of Class B permits. Application forms for Class A, B and C Permit. (Forms  require Acrobat Read   to open)

Envoys, Consuls and Their Families

Applications have to be processed through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Co-operation.

Expatriates in Government-Funded Projects Working in government institutions

Applications should pass through their respective ministries in which they are intending to work.  The applications should be forwarded to the Ministry of Manpower for approval to enable the issuance of an Exemption Certificate by the Director of Immigration Services.  Basic attachments to the application include the following:

  • Five photographs
  • Covering letter from the applying Ministry or Organization
  • Copies of passport pages
  Back To The Top

 The Director of Immigration Services is also vested to issue special permits known as  Certificates of-Exemption  to envoys accredited to the United Republic of Tanzania, Consuls, and foreigners whose services have been contracted by the Government.  Exemption certificates are granted free of charge with no processing fee. 

(forms for application of an exemption certificate )



This is to inform our clients and the general public that with effect from 01/07/2011 as published though the Government Notice (G.N.) No.185, 186 and 189 of July 01, 2011, the fee rates for various services offered by the Immigration Department have changed as to the following effect:

1. Residence Permits

1.Residence Permit Class “A” For large Capital Investors in Companies, Industries, Fishing, Mineral and Transportation.US. $.2000 First issue and renewal
2.Residence Permit Class “A” For PeasantsUS.$.50 First issue and renewal
3.Residence Permit Class “B”For employees in industries, Private Companies, Public Cooperation, Fishing, Mines, Transportation and Music bands. US.$.1,500 First issue and renewal
4.Residence Permit Class “C”For Missionaries, Researchers and StudentsUS.$.500 First issue and renewal

  2. Passes

1.Dependant PassUS.$.500 First issue and renewal
2.Special PassUS.$.600
3.Visitors Pass (CTA)US.$.200
4.Re-entry PassUS.$.50

  3. Visas (Please refer to rates set for Applicants at the Tanzania Embassy in Stockholm)

 4. Citizenship


*A fee of US $. 1,500 is payable upon submission of the application for naturalization, while US. $. 3,500 is paid after the approval of the application for the grant of Citizenship by the Minister responsible for citizenship matters.                   

For more information all permit applicants should contact directly their hosts/employer and immigration services in Tanzania.

Director of Immigration Services
P.O.Box 512,

Tel: +255 - 22 - 2850575/6

Fax General: +255 22 2850595/+255 22 2850584
Fax Consular Section: +255 - 22 - 2850566

E mail:  This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

Working Hours: 
Mondays to Fridays 7.30 a.m. to 3.30 p.m.

Applicants who are not satisfied by the Director’s decision may appeal to the Ministry of Home Affairs while they are outside the country.  Applications for Residence Permits should also be submitted while the applicant is outside the country.


 Back To The Top
 IMPORT PERMIT (Food, Plants, Pets and Animal Products)

 Permits for importation is requested from; 

Permanent Secretary,
Ministry of Agriculture and Food Security,
P.O. Box 9192,
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
Tel:   +255 22 2862480/1, Fax:  +255 22 2862077
E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it


Director of Veterinary Services,
Ministry of Water and Livestock Development
Temeke Veterinary Office
PO Box 9152
Dar es Salaam

Tel: +255 22 2862592; Fax +255 22 2862538
E mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it or This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it ,
Quantity Control Measures  

  • A special import permit issued by the Director of Agriculture and Food Security in Tanzania, is required for the entry of fresh fruit, plants, plant parts, and seeds.
  • An import permit issued by the National Food Commission is required for the entry of meat and edible meat offal, edible vegetable, roots and tubes, and edible fruits and nuts.
  • A permit from the Ministry of Water and Livestock Development, Veterinary Services  is required for the importation of live horses, dogs, cats, swine, sheep and goats.
  • A permit issued by the Ministry of Agriculture and Food Security is required for imports of live trees and other plants, bulbs, roots and the like, cut flowers and ornamental foliage; plants and parts (i.e. seeds and fruits fresh or dried, crushed, powdered); vegetable plaiting materials; raw vegetable materials.


Prohibition is set on imports of food containing cyclamates or any cyclamate salts for use in food products.  

Technical Measures  

  • Imports of spirits other than gin, geneva, hollands, schnapps, or liqueurs for human consumption, must give satisfactory proof that the spirits to be imported have been matured by storage in wood for a period of not less than three years.  In the same context, medicines and foodstuffs must have a minimum remaining shelf life of six months at the time of importation.  However Brandy under certain conditions, is exempt from this regulation.
  • A sanitary certificate from a qualified veterinary surgeon in the country of export, must accompany every imported animal.
  • The Ministry of Agriculture and Food Security in Tanzania is responsible for the certification of all plants and plant products (propagative matter, seed, seedlings).  Imported plants are subject to a sanitary certificate signed by an appropriate government official in the country of origin of the goods.
  •   Specific labelling requirements are set on imported canned condensed milk for human consumption, vegetable and butter ghee, paints and varnishes.
  • Under the Animal Ordinance Cap. 156, the Ministry of Water and Livestock Development's Zoo-Sanitary Inspector is responsible for inspection procedures relating to health and sanitary regulations.  Imported animals are subject to quarantine regulations, and to examination by a veterinarian at the port of entry.
  • The Ministry of Agriculture and Food Security is responsible for the inspection of imported plants.  The importation of fresh fruit, plants, plant parts, and seeds are subject to quarantine regulations and may enter only at designated ports, where they will be subject to examination.

 Special Customs Formalities

  • Imported animals may enter only at designated ports.
  • Imports of the following plants should be made through designated port of entry: coffee except roasted beans, cotton, tobacco, cacao, coconuts, groundnuts, lucerne and clover, rubber, maize, wheat, cloves, peach, barberry, buckthorn, and potatoes.

Source: (This information has to be verified from Ministry of Agriculture and Food Security and Ministry of Water and Livestock Development in Tanzania)  

Procedure for Bringing Pets to Tanzania

It is possible to import dogs and cats, but health and vaccination certificates are required.  Dogs and cats should be vaccinated for rabies at least 1 month and not more than 3 years prior to their entry into Tanzania. An import permit should be obtained by sending a letter of request to the Director of Veterinary Services in Tanzania, Ministry of Water and Livestock Development (see address above). In this letter the applicant should state, Type/Breed of pet, age, port of entry in Tanzania and attach vaccination certificates.

The following vaccinations are recommended:  

DHLP: Distemper, Hepatitis, Leptospirosis and Parvo.

Puppies should be vaccinated when they are five to seven weeks old with repeat vaccinations two weeks and six weeks later.  The rabies vaccination should be administered with the third vaccination.

Vaccination for worms  

Vaccination for worms should be done every three months or the pets may be given worm tablets every 45 days.


  • If applicant has hosts in Tanzania, it is helpful if they make a follow up of the application and collect the permit on behalf
  • Imported animals are subject to examination by a veterinarian at the port of entry and subject to quarantine if need be.  
  • If you want to take your pet back with you obtain an export permit.






























































































































































Back To The Top


Foreign companies groups, individuals who seek to undertake assignments as journalists, photographers, television and film producers, researchers and book writers are required to apply for permit to undertake such assignments. The application form for media permit in Tanzania Mainland and Zanzibar (journalistic, filming or photography) work must be endorsed by the Embassy and sent back to the applicant. The applicant with the help of the host institution or person should forward the endorsed application form and fee one month before the commencing date of the assignment to the;

Please prepare the following items and submit them to the Embassy for authorization.

(1) Application Form

 - Filming Permit Application Form (Mainland) Download (PDF)

 - Filming Permit Application Form (Zanzibar) Download (PDF) 

(2) Cover letter

(3) Synopsis or Script

(4) Equipment list

(5) List of crew member and Passport copies of all accompanying members


For Tanzania mainland, please submit the authorized documents to the following address;


National Film Censorship Board

Department of Culture Development 

Ministry of Information, Youth, Culture and Sports

P.O Box 8031


Tel: +255 222121920/222123931/222117819

Fax: +255 222121920/222123931/222117819

This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it


For Zanzibar to;

Information Department

P.O Box 2754


Tel: 2231073/2231011                                                                                                             

Fax: 2231011                                                                                                

E-mail: habarimaelezo@              

All applicants are advised to submit the form at least one month before the commencing date of the assignment.


The above media permit applications is separate from entry visa which should be made to the nearest Consulate / Embassy. After receiving the permit please apply for a Business purpose visa (B3) at the Tanzania Missions abroad.



While researchers and academic book writers should send the application and fee directly to

Director General,
Tanzania Commission for Science and Technology (COSTECH)
P.O. Box 4302, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania

Tel: 255-22-700745/6/9, 75311/2
Fax: 255-22-775313/4,

Email: This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it    website

The applicant (s) should fill in an application for research clearance , attaching a CV (CURRICULUMN_FORM.pdf ), a synopsis or script when forwarding both the applications. The application must be made two months before the commencing date of the research assignment.

The above media and reserach permit applications is separate from entry visa which should be made to the nearest Embassy. Resident and Work Permit application  should be made to the immigration department in Tanzania before entry to Tanzania.


Documents Required

If you are intending to get married in Tanzania, a certificate of no impediment from your home country is required. This document (translated in English) must state status – that;

  • you were never married before
  • you are divorced and attach the relevant divorce certificate or
  • you were widowed and produce/attach the relevant document.

This certificate proves that no legal impediment to the intended marriage is known to the responsible authority in your country. Other useful documents to have are Birth certificate, or personal information from registrar of population in your country. If you intend to be married in church a letter from your Pastor/Priest will be helpful.

 If you have less than 21 days required to put "a notice of intention to marry", you need to make an application for “Special Marriages Licence” from the Registrar of Marriages An application form for “Special Marriages Licence” will be issued and dully filled and a copy of the certificate of no impediment attached to it. The form must be signed and legalised by a lawyer or an advocate. The form must then go back the Registrar of Marriages where it will be checked, a fee will be paid and the "Special Marriage License" will be issued.

With this license the couple must report to the District Commissioner’s office, Church or Mosque (depending on the place where the marriage will take place and the person who will solemnise the marriage) to set the date of the marriage. Two witnesses selected by the couple (resident or non-resident) will have to accompany the couple on the marriage date. After the ceremony, a Tanzanian Marriage Certificate (in duplicate) will be issued.


If an International Certificate of Marriage is required on your return to your country, the Tanzanian marriage certificate must then be brought back to the Registrar of Marriages (Arusha Office) for registration by filling in form No. RGM 111 (Application for registration for a foreign marriage). A fee of approximately TZS 22,000 is paid to obtain a copy of the entry in the Register of Foreign Marriages. An additional TZS 7,000 is required for the International Marriage Certificate to be issued before leaving Tanzania. This International Marriage Certificate must be certified by the Tanzanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs - Legal Department before being presented to your Embassy for legalisation.

The legalised document can then be recorded with your Municipality/Commune/Civil Record Office. Please contact your Embassy in Tanzania for any further information on this.

Marriage in Zanzibar

 Information on marriage in Zanzibar can be obtained from:

Town Council
Vuga, Zanzibar Town

Tel: +255 024 230246/7
Town Council
Vuga, Zanzibar Town

Tel: +255 024 230182
Requirements are-

  • Birth Certificate in English
  • Passport
  • Two witnesses (can be locally provided if necessary) and
  • The marriage vows

  • Marriage Certificates of Zanzibar must be certified by the Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Tanzania in Dar es Salaam and other procedures given above.

     Back To The Top


Last Updated ( Tuesday, 23 August 2016 )
© 2017 Embassy of The United Republic of Tanzania - Stockholm, Sweden

Comments for Webmaster