News Flash

As you probably realize, staying on Zanzibar (or any of Tanzania's islands) is generally a lot cheaper than being on safari. Don't forget to look at the options on Mafia Island also if any of your party are serious divers or snorkellers; Mafia doesn't have the same quality of beaches … but it's a lot quieter than Zanzibar, and can have a much more exclusive feel for a similar cost.
Consular Services - PERMITS Print E-mail

Entry to Tanzania for the purposes of employment, establishing business, long term studies, voluntary or missionary work or any other not related to above types of visa, a Resident and Work Permit is required.

Such permits are issued in Tanzania by the Commissioner of Immigration, Labour Commissioner or other relevant government department. Please seek support from your host organisation/institution of the right permit and in processing application.

Please note that the Embassy does not issue any permits or exemption. The Embassy only provides information or forwards application that need Embassy endorsement (e.g Press/media permit).

*It is important to note the classification of residence permits is different from that of work permits.



Residence permits are issued by the Immigration Department. There are three classes of resident permits i.e. Class A, B and C.

A Class A permit is issued to foreign investors,

Class B to foreigners employed in Tanzania and

Class C to anyone not qualifying for either a Class A or B.

The application for a residence permit is done by submitting the application forms together with the necessary documents to the Immigration Department.

The fee for a residence permit is paid after approval of the application, while fee for a work permit is paid before approval. 


For Spouses and family members, visitors on transit, Crew members on transit and Citizen of East African Partnership states please visit here for information and downloading of application forms.

For more information on Resident permits, other types of entry permits and fees please visit the immigration department



WORK Permits are provided in  five classes ;

  • Class A, which involve investors and self employed.
  • Class B includes citizen who is in possession of a prescribed professional
  • Class C issued to a non-citizen who is in possession of such other profession
  • Class D issued to a non-citizen employed or engaged on a registered religious or charitable activities
  • Class E will be issued to refugees.


  • Justification Letter.
  • Fill  Application Form TFN 901 (2 Forms)
  • Two recent passport size photographs of the applicant with BLUE BACKGROUND;
  • Photocopy of a valid passport;
  • Sectoral approvals (where applicable);
  • Previous work permit (for renewal application); Industrial/business/Operating license;
  • Certificate of Tax Identification Number (TIN);
  • Certificate of Value Added Tax (where applicable);
  • Certificate of Incorporation/Business name;
  • Memorandum & Articles of Association Extract from the Registrar of Companies/Constitution/any legal document; and
  • Certificate of Incentive (if any).


  • Justification Letter (Covering Letter)
  • Application Form TFN 901 (2 Forms)
  • Contract of employment or engagement, as the case may be, duly signed by relevant parties;
  • Job or engagement description;
  • Curriculum Vitae;
  • Two recent passport size photographs of the applicant;
  • Accreditation certificate, if any, from respective professional entities;. Academic/professional certificates; 
  • Certified translation of certificates/documents by competent Authority or Embassy or Consular office (if they are in a language other  than English and K Previous work permit (for renewal application);
  • Industrial /Operating/Business license
  • Certificate of Incorporation, Business name and Extraction from the Registrar of Companies
  • Memorandum & Articles of Association;
  • Succession plan (for renewals); and
  • Letter of no objection (if any) from previous employer.
  • Sectoral approvals (where applicable);
  • Certificate of Incentive (if any).


1. Fill application form No TFN 901

2. Pay standard fee according to class that your are applying for as it elaborated below

a) class A $ 1000

b) class B $ 500

c) class C $ 1000

d) class D $ 500

e) Class E Free

The stated amount should be deposited in to the Ministry’s Account detailed below and a receipt of payment should be attached to the application on submission.

Account Name: Permanent Secretary Ministry of Labour and Employment

Account Number: 0250211745400

Bank: CRDB


For more information please contact;

Ministry of Labor and Employment 

Mwalimu J.K Nyerere Pension Towers

Bibi Titi Mohamed Street

Postal Address:

P.O. Box 1422,

Dar es Salaam, Tanzania

Telephone: +255 22 2127245 

                  +255 22 2121928 

Fax:           +255 22 2324 218,

E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it  

































Back To The Top


Foreign companies groups, individuals who seek to undertake assignments as journalists, photographers, television and film producers, researchers and book writers are required to apply for permit to undertake such assignments. The application form for media permit in Tanzania (journalistic, filming or photography) work must be endorsed by the Embassy and sent back to the applicant. The applicant with the help of the host institution or person should forward the endorsed application form and fee one month before the commencing date of the assignment to the;

Please prepare the following items and submit them to the Embassy for authorization.

(1) Application Form

General media permit 

 - Filming Permit Application Form (Mainland) Download (PDF)

 - Filming Permit Application Form (Zanzibar) Download (PDF) 

(2) Cover letter

(3) Synopsis or Script

(4) Equipment list

(5) List of crew member and Passport copies of all accompanying members


For Tanzania mainland, please submit the authorized documents to the following address; 

Media Permit/Accreditation


Tanzania Information Services, 

P.O. Box 9142, 

Plot No. 2271/32 – Samora Avenue 

Phone +255 2122771/3, 2110585, 2110200, 2137675 

Fax: +255 2113814, 2124812, 2112850 

E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it Tanzania


Film Permit


National Film Censorship Board

Department of Culture Development 

Ministry of Information, Youth, Culture and Sports

P.O Box 8031 Dar es Salaam 

Tel: +255 222121920/222123931/222117819

Fax: +255 222121920/222123931/222117819

This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it


For Zanzibar to;


Information Department

P.O Box 2754


Tel: +255 2231073/2231011

E-mail: habarimaelezo@       

All applicants are advised to submit the form at least one month before the commencing date of the assignment.


The above media permit applications is separate from entry visa which should be made to the nearest Consulate / Embassy. After receiving the permit please apply for a Business purpose visa (B3) at any Tanzanian Mission abroad.



While researchers and academic book writers should send the application and fee directly to

Director General,
Tanzania Commission for Science and Technology (COSTECH)
P.O. Box 4302, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania

Tel: 255-22-700745/6/9, 75311/2
Fax: 255-22-775313/4,

Email: This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it    website

The applicant (s) should fill in an application for research clearance , attaching a CV (CURRICULUMN_FORM.pdf ), a synopsis or script when forwarding both the applications. The application must be made two months before the commencing date of the research assignment.

The above media and reserach permit applications is separate from entry visa which should be made to the nearest Embassy. Resident and Work Permit application  should be made to the immigration department in Tanzania before entry to Tanzania.


Last Updated ( Friday, 03 November 2017 )
© 2018 Embassy of The United Republic of Tanzania - Stockholm, Sweden

Comments for Webmaster